Vambo Entertainment is excited to announce auditions for an elite six-week Physical Theatre training program with a view to developing a cast for the production of a traditional pantomime in November 2016. Please note: physical theatre is about creativity and imagination – you use your body, voice and whatever else comes to hand to tell a story in a way that is comfortable and accessible for your body (even an eyebrow can tell a story!)
Physical Theatre is the art of telling a story without relying entirely on language and props to communicate meaning; it gives you the ability to create characters, inanimate objects and anything else you can imagine using nothing but your body and…it is heaps of fun!
We’re looking to train 4-12 performers who want to branch out into physical theatre, who are interested in devising theatre in a workshop setting and who would like to be part of the cast for our pantomime.
Auditions will be held in our studio in Jebel Ali Village, Dubai at a prearranged time; please call us on 052 8429 582 or email email@example.com to schedule your booking.
Audition slots are available between the 8th of April and the 17th of April 2016. You do not need to prepare an audition piece as you will be doing a mini physical theatre workshop with the Director of the pantomime when you arrive.
THE TRAINING PROGRAM
Training will start with an exploration of the techniques of the Commedia dell’arte, Lecoq and Meyerhold before delving into an investigation of a handful of modern physical theatre companies including ‘Stomp’ and ‘DV8’. You do not have to be a dancer to be good at physical theatre, you just have to be willing to use your imagination and creativity to the max and be prepared to let go and make a bit of a fool of yourself.
Over the course of the program you will discover how to:
- Use your body and your voice to tell a story without the need for language
- Work in a group to devise theatre that has mass appeal
- Use techniques like improvisation, mime, dance and acting to create your own work.
- Personify anything – from a toaster to a planet – using just your body, your voice and other people.
- Engage an audience and use audience participation for comic effect.
The Trainer and the show’s Director, Ashleigh-May Bawden, is a Drama graduate with over 10 years of experience working as a Performer, a Director and a Drama Teacher in the UAE, UK, Australia and Southern Africa. She started Vambo Entertainment in a bid to develop high quality entertainment in the UAE and launched the production branch of the company with ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf’ by Edward Albee in December 2015. Since then the company has gone on to do a production of ‘Vital Signs’ by Jane Martin and has a production of Shakespeare’s ‘The Merry Wives of Windsor’ opening at the end of March.
COSTS, DATES AND WHAT’S INCLUDED
- Participation in the program will cost AED 600 payable to Vambo Entertainment at the first training session if you are selected to take part in the training.
- The 6-week training program will start in the last week of April 2016 and finish in the first week of June 2016, before Ramadan starts.
- You will need to be able to commit to 2-3hrs of training per week. Timings will be confirmed based on the availability of those selected for the course.
- The purpose of the training course is to develop a team who will be part of the cast of the Vambo Entertainment pantomime scheduled for November 2016. Rehearsals for the pantomime will start at the end of August 2016.
- Please note that performers will not be paid for performing in the pantomime
To book your audition slot give us a call on:
052 8429 582
or send an email to:
Have a look at the picture gallery of our recent production, ‘Vital Signs’ by Jane Martin, to see the fabulous cast in performance as the result of our January 2016 Actor Training Program!